Most people think they need itunes to manage their ipods. In this post I’ll show how to get audio from your favorite podcast to your ipod using Amarok on linux. Before we start, you need to connect your iPod and make sure it comes up as an Amarok device. If you need help with this refer to Part 1.
Adding the podcast to Amarok.
Before we can get the podcast onto the ipod, we’ll need to add it to Amarok. Here are the steps to accomplish this:
- In Amarok, choose the Playlists tab. You can find this in the set of vertical tabs on the left side.
- Right click on the red folder labeled “Podcasts”
- Select “Add Podcast…”
- Type or paste in the URL of a favorite podcast and click OK. It will then retrieve the podcasts and you’ll see them in that red Podcasts folder. Podcasts are typically taken from a RSS feed so the URL will most likely be an xml file.
Moving the podcast to your ipod.
- From that new list of available podcasts, you can now right click on one of them and choose ” Download Media”. This will download the podcast as an audio file, so depending on how long the podcast is, it may take some time.
- Once the download is complete, you right click on that same podcast again and choose “Transfer to Media Device”. This doesn’t do the actual copy to your ipod, but queues it up for the copy.
- Click on the Devices tab (same left side vertical tabs) and you’ll see everything on your ipod. You’ll also see at the bottom a Transfer Queue, which you should also see your queued podcast.
- Last step is to click on the Transfer button at the top.
You’re done and should now see the podcast in your ipods menu in both Amarok and the ipod itself.
Here are all of the iPods and Amarok posts:
iPods and Amarok, Part 1: Making the Connection
iPods and Amarok, Part 2: Album Cover Art
iPods and Amarok, Part 3: Playlists
iPods and Amarok, Part 4: Podcasts
For this example I used a podcast from Clark Howard.